Do you want to select a unique wedding theme that manages to incorporate “something old” and “something new” in one fell swoop? A crochet-themed wedding can do exactly that for you. Crochet is a traditional fiber art that has been passed down from generation to generation and makes a great theme for people interested in vintage wedding themes that celebrate the beauty of the past. However, crochet has also made a terrific revival in the modern design world in recent years. If you love how the domestic arts have been revived as a trendy and modern way of life then you can definitely celebrate your new married life with a crochet-themed wedding! Keep in mind that crochet is essentially a series of interlocking loops, which is a great image for what a family is all about so it’s a great theme for a wedding.
Crochet Wedding Attire
One of the most creative ways that you can include crochet in your wedding is to incorporate it into the design of your bridal outfit and bridesmaid’s dresses. The trick here is to make sure to keep the shape and silhouette of your dresses very modern so that the crochet doesn’t look like a handcrafted item from the past. You will want to choose only the highest quality of yarn to create the luxurious look that good crochet work can offer. For example, you might have the bodice of your wedding gown done in detailed lacy crochet using a high-end white and silver luxury yarn. Alternatively, you may simply add crochet work as an accessory – a veil of crochet, for example, or even just a crochet garter to give a little nod to the handcrafted arts at your wedding ceremony.
There are two other bridal party items that can commonly be crocheted for handmade wedding:
- The basket used by the flower girl can be a crochet basket.
- The pillow that the ring is carried out on can be crocheted.
The most traditional wedding color is, of course, white. And the most traditional color for crochet work is also white. However, going overboard with white crochet can make the wedding seem a bit too vintage (think grandma’s doilies). Add other colors to your color scheme to make the crochet look more modern. Bright and bold colors like purple and red are terrific but you can do crochet in pastel as well depending on your personal preferences.
Save the Date Cards and Invitations
What is great about the design of crochet is that it looks like beautiful works of lace with repeating designs. These designs can serve as great inspiration for the artwork on your “save the date” cards and wedding invitations. A filet crochet design might make an excellent border around your wedding invitations, for example. If you want to take this DIY handcrafted wedding a step further then you could actually crochet a thread or yarn border around each paper invitation, making it a very special item for each of your guests.
This is where you can really let your love of crochet and handcrafted fiber arts get extensive. You and your friends can get together to make nearly all of your reception decorations out of crochet. Some of the items that you might want to include:
- Crochet Flowers. Why invest a fortune in flowers that are going to wilt the next day when you can make crochet flowers that will last forever? At the end of the ceremony you can hand them out to your guests as souvenirs from the wedding.
- Crochet Hearts. There are many gorgeous heart designs that you can crochet and they make terrific items for decorating your reception space.
- Crochet Doilies. These make beautiful tablecloths for your reception area!
- Wedding Favor Holders. You can crochet your own little bags to hold the wedding favors that you pass out at the wedding. If your friends enjoy crafting then you might want to include a starter crochet set as a wedding favor.
- Do the crochet work yourself. Get your friends to help. Crochet is an easy craft to learn and you don’t have to be an expert to make high-quality décor items for your own wedding.
- Talk to your local yarn store about getting yarn in bulk. This will help defray the major cost of a crochet themed wedding.
- Search Etsy for supplies. You don’t have to do all of the crochet work yourself. There are many people out there who are already making terrific crochet items that you can use at your wedding. Start by looking at Etsy.
This is a guest post from Kathryn who writes a crochet blog called Crochet Concupiscence. Her crochet articles include crochet fashion news, crochet tutorials, crochet artist reviews and quotes about crochet.